- Size: 3.5 to 4.5 feet long, 2 to 3 feet tall at the shoulder, and weighing up to 175 pounds
- Lifespan: 8 to 10 years in the wild, 17+ years in captivity
- Range: Eastern and Southern Africa
- Habitat: Dry, open grasslands
- Diet: Primarily gazelles, wildebeest calves, impalas, and other small hoofed animals. They will also sometimes eat rabbits, hares, warthogs, and birds.
Cheetahs are classified as big cats, but they are physically more similar to greyhound dogs. Their small heads, physical build, and running ability are very close in structure to these common household pets. During mating season, male cheetahs even have a vocalization to attract females called a strutter bark. Cheetahs cannot roar like lions or tigers. However, just like domestic cats, they can purr.