- Assists the Curator of Aquatic Life in the supervision and coordination of the PPG aquarium’s daily workload/goals to meet the long range goals.
- Assists in budget preparation, long range planning and oversees daily maintenance of the aquarium collection and displays,
- Develops, schedules and directs staff, interns and volunteer divers,
- Reviews and schedules various maintenance schedules,
- Negotiates with vendors,
- Maintains computerized department records,
- Manages employee issues,
- Maintains animal inventory,
- Utilizes leadership and organizational skills to foster a positive and supportive work environment.
- Performs all other duties as assigned and directed.
Skills, Education, Experience, Qualifications:
- BS degree in Aquatic Biology, Related area or Equivalent experience is required.
- Minimum of six years public aquarium experience is required with at least one year of employee supervisory experience.
- At least 100 hours of diving experience in a variety of aquatic environments
- Extensive knowledge of a variety of aquatic animals and their care requirements in a public aquarium setting.
- Proficiency with the application with various LLS designs including ozone to enclosures containing aquatic animals.
- Experience managing dive programs within a public aquarium setting, with SCUBA Diving Instructor Certificate or the ability to attain one.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills conducive to a positive work environment.
- A working knowledge of computer programs. (e.g. Word, Excel, Database Administration, Window Operating System, etc.)
This position works in an office setting and curatorial areas equally. Must be available to work nights, weekends, and holidays. Local, national and international travel is required as needed.