Position Title: Special Events Coordinator
Reports To: Director of Marketing
Position Status: Full-time, hourly, non-exempt
This position develops, manages, and executes a variety of special events that welcome a wide range of audiences to the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium throughout the year. This role includes event setup, client relations, vendor load-in, and activity/entertainment coordination.
Essential Job Functions:
- Creates, plans, and implements events that will generate attendance and revenue
- Researches, solicits, and coordinates with vendors, groups, and community organizations
- Hires and supervises Special Events staff and interns
- Develops annual budget and meets income and expense line items related to Special Events
- Determines expenditures and grows income of Special Events Department
- Works with Creative Services to develop signage and printed materials for events
- Works with Grounds and Maintenance Departments to manage all set-up and event needs
- Creates, manages, and tracks online ticketing for special events
- Communicates special events schedule to appropriate department through weekly Special Events Meetings
- Works with Docents to secure animals visits for special events
- Develops and coordinates animal enrichment activities for events with Keeper Staff
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Meets income and expense budgets: The employee can be depended upon to meet or exceed the required annual income goals while adhering to the expense budget.
- Attendance and dependability: The employee can be depended on to report to work at the scheduled time and is seldom absent from work. Employee can be depended upon to complete work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner and is conscientious about assignments.
- Communication and contact: The employee communicates effectively both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society.
- Relationships with others: The employee works effectively and relates well with others including superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society. Exhibits a professional manner in dealing with others, and works to maintain constructive working relationships.
- Provides excellent customer service in the areas of guest relations and park beautification.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field along with a minimum of 1 – 3 years’ experience in special events, planning and execution, or a related field; a background in sales is preferred.
- Manual dexterity to operate office machinery such as personal computer, telephone, copier, etc.
- Must have the ability to lift up to 50 pounds regularly for event set-up and tear-down.
- Position involves working in the park with exposure to all types of weather conditions, as well as sitting for long periods of time in an office setting.
- Must be able to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
Submit resume with salary requirements to HR@pittsburghzoo.org